History of the Dome
This Beaux Arts style building built in 1899, designed by architect F.R. Comstock from New York City, is constructed of Batesville, Arkansas marble with Greek Renaissance Corinthian columns and New Hampshire granite cornerstone. Stained glass adorns every window with a large dome in the santuary with a stained glass widow of Love.
The First Church of Christ Scientist building is known to be the most expensive church ever built in St. Joseph, costing more than $130,000 to build. The tonally unaltered 31-rank pipe organ was installed in 1907 by the Hook & Hastings Co. of Boston (Opus 2151). This organ cost $12,000 in a time when a church pipe organ of average size cost $3,500. For many years it was the largest pipe organ in St. Joseph and has received a Historic Citation from the Organ Historical Society.
The church was originally built for the local congregation of Christ Scientist and remained that use until the congregation dissolved in the late 1990's. Designed after the mother church in Boston, and sister church in New York City, which is still in existence today, this is a rare and exceptional example of Beaux Arts, classical style architecture still in its original state unaltered for 116 years.
Designed by architect F.R. Comstock in 1899
Currently a Public Venue
Leave Comments for the Owner