Hamilton Twin House
1329 Francis St,
St Joseph, MO 64501
Building permit records of the city reflect that in 1887, John Hamilton obtained a permit to build “two wood houses” West of 1423 Francis Street on the land which the Hamilton family had acquired with the home at 1423 Francis.
By the July 1888 printing of Sanborn insurance maps for St. Joseph, two brick structures are shown West of 1423 Francis. One of the homes is sited on what is now 1329 Francis Street, and the other on what is now 1311 Francis Street. No wood structures appear on the map of an expected home size, suggesting a possible change of plan for the homes - or a mistake in the permit records.
The two brick structures documented by the Sanborn map are identical in their exterior footprints, including porches shown on the Southeast corners of each. Perhaps the two houses were constructed by John as a single builder, saving on design and building costs by utilizing a single building plan for both structures.
John died in 1889 as a single man at the home at 1329 Francis Street. At his death, his niece, Isabelle Armstrong Bates, a daughter of his sister Eliza Hamilton Armstrong, probably began to reside in the home located at 1329 Francis Street.
John’s niece, Susan Armstrong McLean, also a daughter of Eliza Hamilton Armstrong, probably began her residence in the home located at 1311 Francis Street in 1888 or 1889.
During Isabelle’s residence at 1329 Francis Street, the home’s exterior continued as built with minor exterior remodeling in 1905 to slightly wrap the porch on the Southeast corner of the home to the front (South) of the home.
Research continues to determine what use was made of the property in the years after Isabelle’s death in 1913.
In 1979 Mr. and Mrs. Terry and Trish Izer acquired the home and embarked on the return of it to its early grand single-family appearance while making it their residence. The exterior footprint of the home as seen presently is consistent with the exterior footprint as shown on the Sanborn insurance map of July 1888 with the 1905 modification to the porch.
At 1311 Francis Street, John’s niece Susan, was active with exterior remodeling. Confusingly, City building permit records reflect that a permit was issued to Susan to build a “residence” at 1311 in 1898 (at a cost of $4,000), when as of July 1888 a brick residence already existed at the address according to the Sanborn insurance maps. Based on the 1888 Sandborn map depictions, it is clear that a porch was added on the front (South) elevation of the home after 1888, though no building permit record exists for a porch addition. (Unless the 1898 “residence” permit was for a very expensive porch?) This porch can yet be seen on the home.
Susan’s addition of a porch made what had been essentially identical exterior footprints of 1329 and 1311 distinctly different. Further distinction in the footprints of the two homes was made with Susan’s final exterior change, an addition to the rear (North) of the home in 1906.
A Hamilton descendant resided at 1311 Francis Street until Susan died in 1925. After her death the property was used for a variety of purposes other than as a single-family residence, e.g. as a rooming or boarding house. In about 1974 the home began to be used as a residential care facility, and it continued to be used to provide some type of care housing until 2024. It has currently been restored back to a single-family residence.
Turn to your right and walk to the corner to find the Harris-Hamilton Home on the northwest corner of 15th and Francis.