The Hamilton House

1423 Francis St,

St Joseph, MO 64501

A Gothic Revival and Octagon shaped home at the Northwest corner of 15th and Francis Streets was the earliest known residential structure built on the North side of Francis Street between 15th and 13th Streets.

 This home was an early, or perhaps the first, St. Joseph home of James Hamilton, his wife Mary, and his sons, John and Edward. They arrived in St. Joseph in 1850 via steamship from St. Louis, Missouri. The Hamilton men formed one of the first pork packing firms in St. Joseph which they continued until James’ death in 1865.

 Construction of the home at the Northwest corner of 15th and Francis Streets was begun by William T. Harris who died in 1851 before construction was completed. Mr. Harris was one of the earliest settlers of St. Joseph, platting the Harris Addition to the City. 

 The widow of Mr. Harris, Jane Harris, remarried in 1856 and in 1858 she and her new husband built an octagon-shaped home in the vicinity of what is now 26th Street and Frederick Blvd (the Fairleigh Place subdivision).

 Research continues to determine if Jane Harris finished the home at 1423 Francis and resided there, or if the Hamiltons were the first residents of the home at its completion. 

 By 1876 Edward Hamilton and his wife and daughter were residents of the “Octagon House.” In that year architect W. Angelo Powell remodeled the house, making it square with high projections and a Mansard roof creating a Second Empire style. Balconies and porticos were also added. Today’s exterior plan of the home is largely reflective of the 1876 remodeling. A carriage house with elements of the remodeled exterior was also constructed in 1876.

 In 1912, Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Parkinson acquired the Hamilton home from Edward’s daughter, and the Parkinson family made their home there until 1950. Mr. Parkison was an attorney in St. Joseph involved in national, state and local politics. Mrs. Parkinson was politically connected as the daughter of once Governor of Missouri, Mr. Joel Stone. In the early years of the Parkinsons’ residence at 1423 Francis, Mr. Stone served as a United States Senator.

 The Parkinson family made the last addition to the home, adding the two-story sunroom and sleeping porch which still remain on the West side of the building.

 In 1950 the home was converted to seven apartments and called the Sunset Hill Apartments. Shortly after, four mobile home pads were installed in the backyard for siting and renting mobile homes. Until 1985 various parties owned the property, all continuing to use it as multi-family and “income-producing.”

 Mr. and Mrs. Lee and Pamela Cone purchased the property in 1985 when the home had seven apartments and four mobile home sites in the backyard. Over the many years since 1985, the Cones have lived at 1423 Francis Street and have worked at returning the home to a single-family residence.  

Go around the corner and walk north on 15th street to the next street, Jules Street.  Cross Jules and go left to 1401 Jules to find the Nunning House.